Wednesday, May 6, 2009

a fragmented gospel

i've been doing some surfing for some bloggers i like and i've found one in Delta BC that is doing a good bunch of challenging me. i've linked him on the side as "Waving or Drowning" and his name is Mike Todd. i've COMPLETELY copied one of his posts below and in it he quotes another so ... don't go thinking these are any of my words. it is a real kick in the pants though, and you need that. i know you need that because i need that and you're just like me.
without further ado, here's Mike Todd "Waving or Drowning?".


I was going through my notes this morning and came across this quote. I've posted it before, but it seems appropriate to bring it to your attention again, hot on the heals of A Fragmented Gospel:

I would like to buy $3 worth of God, please, not enough to explode my soul or disturb my sleep, but just enough to equal a cup of warm milk or a snooze in the sunshine. I don't want enough of him to make me love a black man or pick beets with a migrant. I want ecstasy, not transformation; I want warmth of the womb, not a new birth. I want a pound of the Eternal in a paper sack. I would like to buy $3 worth of God, please.
(Wilbur Rees: Leadership, Vol. 4, No.)

It's time for us to become what we claim to be - The People of God. This is opposed to the role we seem to prefer - The People Loosely Affiliated With Some Vague Notion of God.

No comments: